AFSE OPENING OF SCHOOL LETTER FROM THE PRINCIPAL
September 7, 2022
I hope you are having a wonderful summer break.
As we begin our preparations for the first day of school, I want to let you know that this year, our school will begin to use the new DOE-created Grades, Attendance, and Messaging applications.
These tools are designed to help you monitor your child’s progress, increase your ability to stay informed, and connect directly with our school’s teachers and administrators, while keeping your child’s personal information as safe as possible.
In the fall, all the information from these new applications will be available to families in the NYC Schools Account (NYCSA) Portal. Currently, you can see your child’s report cards, view attendance, update important contact information, and more in NYCSA. If you have not created a NYCSA account, please create one so you can stay informed. If you need help creating a NYCSA account, please contact Carmen Rosario, [email protected]
In order to ensure that you are informed about our plans for use of platforms this year including which applications we plan to gradually phase in or out, please see below:
- DOE Grading System: Although the DOE now offers a grading application for assignments and assessments, we will continue to use JumpRope as our exclusive platform for grading due to our unique Mastery Based Grading system. Parents will continue to access JumpRope to access academic progress for assessments and assignments. Parents can continue to access the NYCSA portal to view marking period and semester grades that are reflected on report cards and transcripts.
- DOE Attendance Application: We will begin the year recording period attendance in JumpRope; however, we will evaluate the DOE Attendance system to determine if and when to migrate and an announcement will be made of any change. Although NYCSA will not currently reflect period attendance, official daily attendance records can be accessed in the NYCSA portal.
- DOE Enterprise: Teachers will continue to primarily use Google Classroom to provide access to curriculum including for students who are on an excused absence including during quarantine to promote continuity of learning. Students will be migrating to the DOE Enterprise to access Google Classroom instead of through the afsenyc.org domain. Eventually all of our activity in Google Apps for Education (GAFE) will migrate from afsenyc.org to the DOE Enterprise domain.
- DOE Notification System: The new DOE Messaging application offers multiple methods for outreach to families, such as voice calls, emails, and SMS texts. Our school staff will be able to send families messages by course/class, by grade, or even to the entire school. Messages can be sent in English and the nine DOE languages. We have decided to phase out the use of Remind as we migrate to the DOE Notification System effective immediately.
- DOE Digital Form Submission: Parents can now access and submit electronic forms including emergency contact and media consent forms. We have decided to phase out the use of Operoo as we migrate to the DOE Notification System effective immediately.
Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions.